The following recipe suggests using kiwis the way one might use a raw tomato, in that they are both acidic and sweet, and suggests making salsa with them. Brilliant! Here is a lovely spicy seasonal salsa using a few kiwi fruit, with some pomegranate seeds for added color and sweetness, and avocado to balance out the acidity of the kiwifruit. Serve with tacos or steak.
- 3-4 ripe kiwifruit, peeled, carefully chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped (see how to cut and peel an avocado)
- 1 heaping tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon (adjust to taste) of chopped fresh or pickled jalapeño chili peppers (no seeds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the kiwifruit, pomegranate seeds, avocado, green onion and olive oil in a medium sized bowl. Starting with just a teaspoon of chopped jalapeño, gently fold in and add more to your desired level of heat. Add cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.